What are the benefits of eating plums
You should keep this in mind when buying plums
When shopping, make sure that the plums are colored blue all around, that they are firm, have a pleasant smell and are free of mold.
The white film on the plum peel is by no means a residue of pesticides, but a natural and undamaged protective layer that should not be damaged when you buy it. So wash your plums just before you eat them, otherwise this protective layer will be destroyed and the fruit will spoil more quickly.
If you press the plum lightly with one finger and it gives way, it is ideally ripe to be eaten.
When it comes to prunes, you should definitely opt for unsulphurized organic products, as the sulphurisation of vitamins such as B. Vitamin B1 are destroyed. In addition, sulfur residues can lead to headaches, nausea and stomach problems in sensitive people and even trigger asthma attacks.
In addition, conventional dried fruits are often fumigated with methyl bromide to kill pests, a neurotoxin, the residues of which not everyone attaches importance to.
Plums are hardly contaminated with pesticides
According to various sources, the plum is one of the less contaminated types of fruit. According to an investigation by the Bavarian State Office for Health and Food Safety the plum stands out very positively in comparison to the other stone fruit types such as peach, apricot and Co.
The plums had by far the lowest average pesticide content per sample and also contained the lowest average number of residues. Almost a fifth of the plum samples were free from residues, even though they came from conventional cultivation. Nevertheless, the fruits should be washed thoroughly before consumption.
If you want to be on the safe side, you should opt for organic plums - the organic samples met all requirements.
This is how plums should be stored
Plums ripen at room temperature. However, if the plums are already ripe, they will be most comfortable in the refrigerator and will keep there for up to one and a half weeks. Plums can also be frozen wonderfully. It is recommended that the fruit be pitted and cut in half beforehand. When it storms and snows in the cold season, it is a real pleasure to conjure up an enjoyable summer feeling on the table.
Your donation helps us
If you enjoyed this article, we would appreciate a small contribution to our work! Donate now with Paypal.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Jena AK et al, "Amelioration of testosterone induced benign prostatic hyperplasia by Prunus species", J Ethnopharmacol, May 2016, (Prunus species lead to an improvement in testosterone in benign prostatic hyperplasia)
- "28 Best Benefits Of Plums For Skin, Hair, And Health," StyleCraze, June 2016, (The 28 Best Benefits Of Plums For Skin, Hair, And Health)
- Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M et al, "Chemical composition and potential health effects of prunes: a functional food?", Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr, May 2001, (The chemical composition and potential health effects of plums: a functional food?)
- Chai SC et al, "Daily apple versus dried plum: impact on cardiovascular disease risk factors in postmenopausal women," J Acad Nutr Diet, August 2012, (Daily apple versus prunes: The impact on cardiovascular disease risk factors in postmenopausal women)
- "Plums nutrition facts", Nutrition-And-You, (nutritional analysis of plums)
- "Health Benefits of Plums", Organic Facts, (The Health Benefits of Plums)
- "Plums & Prunes," The Worlds Healthiest Foods, (prunes and prunes)
- Sahamishirazi S et al, "Quality assessment of 178 cultivars of plum regarding phenolic, anthocyanin and sugar content", Food Chem, January 2016, (The quality assessment of 178 plum varieties with regard to the content of phenols, anthocyanins and sugar)
- Sherry Baker, "Breast cancer cells destroyed by peach and plum extracts," Natural News, June 2010,
- Noratto G et al, "Identifying peach and plum polyphenols with chemopreventive potential against estrogen-independent breast cancer cells", J Agric Food Chem, June 2009, (The identification of polyphenols in peach and plum with chemopreventive potential against estrogen-independent breast cancer cells )
- "Peaches, plums and nectarines help fight metabolic syndrome," NYR Natural News, June 2012,
- J. D. Heyes, "Five ways delicious organic plums can benefit your health," Natural News, July 2016,
- Jacob Schor, "Prunes May Prevent and Reverse Osteoporotic Bone Loss," Natural Medicine Journal, July 2012, (Plums May Prevent and Reverse Osteoporotic Bone Loss)
- Hooshmand S et al, "Comparative effects of dried plum and dried apple on bone in postmenopausal women," Br J Nutr, September 2011, (Comparative effects of dried plum and apple on bone in postmenopausal women)
- Helga Buchter, "Blue stomach miracle: the plum", SWITZERLAND. Z. OBST-WEINBAU No. 18/99
- Mares J, "Lutein and Zeaxanthin Isomers in Eye Health and Disease," Annu Rev Nutr, July 2016, (Lutein and Zeaxanthin Isomers in Eye Health and Eye Disease)
- Russell IJ, "Treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome with Super Malic: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled, crossover pilot study," J Rheumatol, May 1995, (The treatment of fibromyalgia with Sugar Malic: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover pilot study )
- Kaartinen K et al, "Vegan diet alleviates fibromyalgia symptoms", Scand J Rheumatol, May 2000, (Vegan diet alleviates fibromyalgia symptoms)
- Donaldson MS et al, "Fibromyalgia syndrome improved using a mostly raw vegetarian diet: an observational study", BMC Complement Altern Med, September 2001, (Fibromyalgia can be improved by a mostly raw vegetarian diet)
- Fujii T et al, "Prune extract (Prunus domestica L.) suppresses the proliferation and induces the apoptosis of human colon carcinoma Caco-2," J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo), October 2006, (Plum extract (Prunus domestica L.) suppressed the growth and initiate apoptosis of human intestinal tumor Caco-2)
- Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M et al, "Dried plums and their products: composition and health effects-an updated review", Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr, December 2013, (Dried plums and their products: The composition and health effects an updated review)
- Metti D, "Effects of low dose dried plum (50 g) on bone mineral density and bone biomarkers in older postmenopausal women," The Faseb Journal, (The effects of low dose prunes (50 g) on bone density and bone biomarkers Older postmenopausal women)
- Hooshmand S, "Viewpoint: dried plum, an emerging functional food that may effectively improve bone health," Aging Res Rev, April 2009,
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- What does the website mean
- Which companies offer revenue performance management tools
- Why do you write 1
- Why do people like movie trailers
- Why is mental health so bad these days
- What is Stackoverflow 1
- What is Laser Prostate Surgery
- Prefer satin panties or nylon
- Which singer has the hottest voice
- What is the purpose of a gear
- What proportion of the Siberians are indigenous
- How does microfinance work in India
- Is the old Martian life frozen in glass?
- What are some Hawaiian native animals
- Has Slack changed its logo? Why
- What is the full form of BFF
- Which TV parents are the best parents
- What's the worst thing about hiking
- Is a movement periodic
- Should I accompany you in a grammatically correct way
- How was Kate Bush discovered
- Can Alexa speak and understand Swedish
- Who can use Kali Linux
- Data for the use case of Hadoop