Why does caffeine affect Rem sleep
Sleep tight - that's why deep sleep is so important
We spend about a third of our lives in bed - and sleep. While we experience an almost comatose and restful sleep on some nights, we wake up exhausted after others and head straight for the coffee machine. For the saving caffeine kick.
Sleep is a complex processwho through external and internal factors being affected. Without the nocturnal state of unconsciousness, it is difficult for us to cope with the challenges of everyday life. Because while our consciousness is in a relative state of rest, ours are working Cells at the Maintenance of our body.
An important phase in the night: the deep sleep phase. What distinguishes the Deep sleep out? Why is this phase so important? And how can you promote healthy sleep? We share with you everything that you have on the subject Deep sleep need to know.
THE SLEEP PHASES
We have already teased it: This post deals with the processes that take place in Deep sleep expire. However, deep sleep is not the only phase a person goes through on a good night. So before we dive into the matter of deep sleep, let's take a quick look at all phases of sleep.
It will two types of sleep differentiated: NREM sleep(non rapid eye movement) and REM sleep (rapid eye movement). During a sleep period, these two types alternate cyclically (1).
According to the current state of knowledge, NREM sleep includes four Stages that by means of electroencephalographic recordings (EEG) were determined. Each of these stages has different characteristics (brain activity, muscle tone).
- During the Sleep phase (Stage I.), which is noticeable through drowsiness, the frequency spectrum of the EEG is shifted in the direction of lower values - the Brain activity slowly decreases. In the 1 to 7 minutes that the stage normally lasts, it is easy to be woken up by annoying noises.
- The Stage II is characterized by so-called Sleep spindles and K complexes that are visible in the EEG. This is Activity spurtsthat only last a second or two. Overall, the frequency of the EEG waves continues to decrease.
- The Stage III represents a moderate up deep sleep there. Together with Stage IV, it forms the Deep sleep. In this phase the K complexes and spindles decrease again, while the low frequency waves increase even further. This stage of sleep, just like stage IV, is called Slow Wave Sleep (SWS) designated.
- In the last stage of deep sleep, Stage IV, is the EEG activity extremely low - the brain activity is at rest. This stage is considered to be the most important deep sleep phase. The consciousness is hardly sensitive to external influences. This phase makes about 10 to 15 percent of sleep out.
After going through the NREM sleep, which makes up 70 to 75 percent of a night, the begins REM sleep (20 to 25 percent). This type of sleep is caused, among other things, by breakouts faster eye movements Are defined. The brain is highly active in this phase, but the body is completely relaxed. Also dreams happen mostly during REM sleep.
One cycle - NREM sleep and REM sleep - lasts on average between 70 and 100 minutes. He'll be within a night four to six times repeated.
Did you know? The body temperature is lower at night than during the day. The shut down heat generation serves to maintain sleep. Some time before you wake up, your body temperature will rise again. The brain sends signals that increase heat production and gently disrupt sleep (1).
THAT'S WHY DEEP SLEEP IS SO IMPORTANT
A healthy sleep includes light and deep sleep phases. In the deep sleep phase, the body goes through many processes that the Regeneration of the human organism serve. While we sleep soundly, cuddled up in blankets, the cells work in all areas of our body.
- People - children as well as adults - use the phases of deep sleep to Learned to process. Sleep studies have shown that sleep is closely related to learning and improves the retention of newly acquired information (2).
- We also consolidate ours during the night memories. Deep sleep promotes this Saving the experiencesthat determined the day or the previous days. It can even happen that the conscious mind makes unconscious decisions that are related to the experiences (2).
- That too immune system is active at night. Responses of the immune system are influenced by the three physiological events wakefulness, rapid eye movement (REM) and non rapid eye movement (NREM) (3).
- During the night, the body secretes countless hormones that are used for cell renewal. The healing process of inflamed areas and wounds is more intense at night than during the day (2).
By the way: Sleep is particularly important after a demanding muscle training session, because more growth hormones are released during the night. Be with the help of these hormones repairs irritated muscle cells and new muscle cells built up.
The little plus for your muscles comes from us! After your muscle training, our Recovery Aminos provide you with a sophisticated mix of L-glutamine and BCAAs.
HOW MUCH SHOULD THE DEEP SLEEP RATE BE?
Deep sleep includes stages III and IV. The Proportion of deep sleep of a cycle is on average between 15 and 25 percent. How often a person has to go through the sleep cycle in order to feel relaxed and energized in the morning is to be determined individually. In general, the following applies: with a proportion of deep sleep one and a half to two hours the body cells can do their important work.
Is the stage of Deep sleep once reached, nothing from the outside world penetrates consciousness for some time. If one is torn directly from deep sleep by external influences, for example through touch, the person concerned first experiences a state of confusion. A complete orientation takes a few seconds.
THE CONSEQUENCES OF LACK OF SLEEP
Anyone who has not slept much after a full Saturday night of dancing knows that even one night has an impact on them mental and physical condition may have. Causes lack of sleep Irritability and lack of concentration. A look at the training plan causes displeasure, because a tired body also performs worse during a workout.
People who are sleep deprived for a long period of time may have the Daytime sleepiness also depressive moods develop and alongside bad focus also Gaps in memory form. Studies have shown that persistent lack of sleep is also linked to high blood pressure and obesity (2).
By the way: Sleep behavior changes over the course of life. These Changes concern the percentages of the individual stages as well as the overall sleep quality. It is believed that the Efficiency decreases with age. The reasons for this have not yet been fully researched (1).
LOSE WEIGHT WHILE SLEEPING
Research suggests that people who regularly sleep less than seven hours a night get one higher risk of obesity than people who maintain a healthy sleep rhythm for more than seven hours. According to the current state of knowledge, lack of sleep is with increased levels of ghrelin and decreased levels of the satiety hormoneLeptin has been linked. In addition, there is a correlation between sleep and the hormone insulin.
Have you ever heard of the controversial diet? Slim in your sleep belongs? The nutritional concept is based on an insulin food combining. During the day will be with three meals at least five hours apart eaten. The long breaks between the individual meals serve to complete the whole Falling insulin levels. While breakfast must contain carbohydrates, these are no longer allowed in the evening. Do you want to know everything exactly? Then read our article on being slim in your sleep - sample day included.
Carbs for Breakfast? But only in combination with a healthy portion of protein! In our breakfast package wait next to Protein porridge and cereal a baking mix for Protein bread and Pancakes to you of you. And best of all: the messenger brings the goodies straight to your home.
BETTER QUALITY OF SLEEP WITH THE PROPER DIET
Disclaimer: To date there are no large-scale studies that have reached absolute conclusions about the Influence of diet on sleep quality allow. However, previous studies reveal certain trends. It is currently assumed that some foods have sleep-promoting effects. This includes all of them fruit and vegetables as oily fish. It has also been shown that eating at night (30 to 60 minutes before bed) can negatively affect sleep quality - more so in women than in men (5).
The Mediterranean diet, with its selection of fresh foods, is a popular diet that can possibly have an impact on the phases of sleep. In addition to fruit and vegetables, the menu of the Mediterranean diet contains high amounts of high-quality olive oil, grains and legumes.
TIPS FOR A RELAXING SLEEP
There are nights when you turn restlessly from left to right and then again to the left. There are mornings when you get up completely exhausted. And that's normal. The right habits and routines can still make sleep more restful. We make it short: seven tips for a good night's sleep.
- Spend time outdoors every day. Taking a slow stroll to the sunset will help shut down the body.
- Don't snuggle under the covers until you're really tired. “Forced” sleep often leads to unwanted tossing and turning.
- Find out which mattress, duvet, and bed linen are right for you.
- Before you go to bed, let some fresh air into the room.
- Freshly brewed coffee is sacred to you? We know that too well. On restless nights, it can still help to drink the last coffee before lunch, so that the caffeine is broken down by the evening. Our tip for the evening: Shaker instead of coffee machine! Our whey protein with whey proteins from pasture milk is also available in the flavor variety coffee. The ingenious formula provides your muscles with everything they need after training - without any unnecessary additives.
- Reduce moving input (news, television) right before bed. Half an hour of screen-free time is often enough to improve the quality of sleep.
- Do you already have an evening routine that includes candles, hot water bottles or incense sticks? Excellent! Your brain connects recurring processes before bed with the upcoming bed rest in the long term.
Hustle during the week - catching up on sleep on the weekend? The Catch-up sleep is a common phenomenon that people use to compensate for lack of sleep. Even if advocates of this method feel a better sense of well-being after catching up on sleep, science has so far not been able to promise any positive effects on health. The same goes for that Asleep (6). The guidelines of good sleep hygiene therefore speak in favor of one regular sleep pattern out.
Fun fact: A Jet lag is a temporary disruption caused by long-haul flights through two or more time zones. The Time zone change syndrome is associated with drowsiness or insomnia. People whose sleep hygiene is neglected due to frequent travel suffer more from the consequences of lack of sleep (7).
Sweet Dreams! You are still missing the ultimate tip for a healthy sleep. Check out our article on restful sleep seven more tips.
Nightly sleep with its various phases of sleep has a demonstrable impact on our health. Here you can find the most important information from the article.
- During sleep, the body goes through a repetitive cycle that includes four NREM stages and one REM phase.
- The various sleep phases are defined, among other things, on the basis of brain activity.
- The deep sleep phase includes stages III and IV of NREM sleep. It makes up between 15 and 25 percent of sleep.
- During deep sleep, hormones are released and cells are regenerated, healing processes are promoted and the immune system is strengthened.
- Lack of sleep causes tiredness during the day, poor concentration and reduced performance. Persistent lack of sleep has a negative impact on health.
- The quality of sleep can be positively influenced by consciously chosen habits.
- Have you met a realized person
- How do I recognize an INFJ man
- Why do Mongolians genetically have fair skin
- Has Kanye West lost its youthful looks?
- What are some things that toxic people do
- Did you succeed in meditation?
- How do I find friends right away
- Why do people go back and forth about APPLE
- Why can't I dress like a girl?
- Why is consistency in customer service important
- The suicide squad was ruined by its producers
- How can I deal with the 10th physics
- Why are so many smart people gay?
- A rogue planet could hit earth
- How teenagers live for themselves
- Why am I always dumped
- What is your favorite comic series
- What is r 100 0
- What denomination is Regent University
- What was your experience with dry fasting
- Should I tip the Uber driver?
- Who is the name of a nomadic footballer
- Why do people love Bill Clinton
- What is a fire door requirement