Where should I place my subwoofer
Connect and set up the subwoofer correctly - this is how it works
You have just downloaded the new album of your favorite band, but something is still missing for the perfect sound. The bass doesn't hum in your compact speakers as you would imagine. Time to finally integrate your subwoofer into the hi-fi system. When such a bass box makes sense at all, how to connect it and where to set it up, UPDATED tells you in this guide.
Subwoofer - what is it and what do you need it for?
The subwoofer is also called the bass box because it is the Tones in low frequencies are amplified. Normal compact loudspeakers are not able to cover the entire frequency range - so you may not even hear the bass line of a song without a subwoofer. If you have large, high-quality floorstanding loudspeakers, you can do without a subwoofer in most cases, as the large loudspeakers usually map all frequencies from 40 Hz to 20 kHz linearly. For special bass-heavy electronic music or the acoustic enjoyment of a Action films in the home theater however, a subwoofer is often the better choice.
Subwoofers are conceivable in various hi-fi systems: whether in a comprehensive 5.1 home theater system or in the reduced version with just two normal speakers and the subwoofer. Correctly connected and set up, a subwoofer enriches the sound experience.
Active or passive subwoofer - what is what?
If you want to buy a subwoofer, you will probably be asked whether you want an active or a passive model. In active subwoofers there is a Amplifier already integrated. To enjoy the deep bass, you only need to connect the subwoofer with a single cable. Passive devices need an additional amplifier.
In most cases, an active subwoofer is a better choice. Active subwoofers often offer better sound quality thanks to electronic filters. For a similarly good sound you will have to dig deeper into your pocket with passive bass boxes. The Advantage of passive devices: The other boxes are relieved of the bass. But that hardly plays a role for many private users.
Connect the subwoofer to the AV receiver or stereo system
Normally you only need a so-called Cinch cableto integrate your subwoofer into the hi-fi system. However, this only applies to active subwoofers that do not require a separate amplifier (see box). With passive bass boxes it is also necessary to connect the external amplifier. You can find out how this works in individual cases in the operating instructions for your subwoofer.
Most AV receivers have a connection socket labeled “Subwoofer”, “Sub” or “Sub Out”. There you insert the cinch cable. The other side goes directly into the matching connection on your subwoofer.
It doesn't matter if you're with one Mono cinch cable or with one Cinch-Y cable working with two connectors on one end. Even if your subwoofer should have two inputs (usually one red and one white), it is sufficient to plug your mono cinch cable into one of the sockets - one is often labeled “Mono”. The Y-cables only have low volume advantageswhich you can easily compensate in practice by simply turning your system a little louder.
If your AV receiver also has two subwoofer outputs, it doesn't matter which one you use. The second is only intended for a second bass box.
You don't have a separate AV receiver, just one, for example one-pieceCompact system including speakers, you can also connect your subwoofer via a cinch cable, if such an output is available. Otherwise, you can use a normal speaker cable (jack plug) to connect the subwoofer and the normal speaker output.
And last but not least, there are of course now Wireless subwooferthat do not require a cable connection at all. The configuration is usually done using special apps that are available for both iOS and Android on most models.
Position the subwoofer correctly
The often heard rumor that it doesn't matter where the subwoofer is placed is not true. Acoustically, the subwoofer is not tied to the other speakers, which is why it can theoretically be placed anywhere in the room. It also radiates three-dimensionally in all directions. In other words: we simply cannot perceive whether the bass box is set up to the left or right of us.
Still it is no matter where you set up the subwoofer - because not every place is equally suitable. Ideally, it should sound as if the bass is also coming from the speakers. Even if the optimal position strongly depends on the construction and the furnishing of the respective room in which the bass box is placed, always adhere to the following recommendations:
- Do not set up the subwoofer equidistant from two parallel walls, otherwise a so-called flutter echo can occur.
- Do not place the subwoofer in the corner of the room or too close to a wall, as reflections can interfere with the listening experience.
- In a home theater system, do not place the subwoofer too close to the center speaker, otherwise the bass could overlay the voice output.
- Do not place the subwoofer on the floor, but slightly elevated it and ideally place it opposite the position where you usually enjoy the music or the film. This ensures more direct sound from the subwoofer and fewer reflections from the room.
Trying is better than studying
Most speaker set-ups can benefit from using a subwoofer - provided you've connected it correctly and placed it sensibly in the room. Then it ensures a crisp bass when playing music or playing sound in home theater.
Connecting the subwoofer is child's play and can be done quickly using a suitable cable. Only that The best possible placement of the bass box takes a little time, because the optimal location cannot be Trying is more important than studying - just rely on your hearing to find out where the bass comes across optimally.
Disclaimer OTTO (GmbH & Co KG) assumes no liability for the correctness, topicality, completeness, effectiveness and harmlessness of the information and recommendations made available on updated.de. It is expressly pointed out that the official manufacturer's specifications are to be observed before all other information and recommendations and only these can guarantee a safe and proper use of the respective purchased items.
- Jehovah's Witnesses really believe in magic
- Was Jesus a misogynist
- Why are most cells spherical
- Is Mars safe to live after Earth?
- Banks have debts
- How does an offshore rig work
- Is interest tax deductible
- Stratigraphy is still used today
- People really buy downvotes on Reddit
- How do I track my affiliate links
- How will Rohit Sharma play nicely
- How do I prevent the beam from failing
- Teachers and professors should have visible tattoos
- What does the mathematical term constant mean?
- How do you get to know other gifted teenagers
- Pakistan New Syria is emerging
- What is in front of the largest prime number
- What is RO cleaning technology
- Why and how suppress addiction emotions
- What are some songs about being an aspie
- Is the net neutrality over
- What is the language of Sangam in history
- What is statistical AI and classic AI
- Who is the youngest top writer 2016