Why is the iPhone camera blurry
Solutions: iPhone camera won't focus and photos are blurry
One click and the picture is in the box - if you use the iPhone as a camera, it is wonderfully uncomplicated to take photos. At least in most cases, because sometimes the automatic camera is stubborn. Then the images are suddenly incorrectly focused or completely out of focus. This guide will explain what you can do about it and how you use the automatic camera focus.
Manually set a focus point
The autofocus ensures that the focus point changes with every movement of the iPhone. If you don't want that, you can set a focus point.
To do this, hold your finger up on the desired subject on the screen AE / AF lock appears at the top of the screen. Face recognition is now also deactivated. To release the lock, simply tap the display again.
Solution 1: focus the camera manually
The lens of the iPhone camera cannot be rotated, but you can still adjust the focus yourself. That's how it's done:
- Open the camera app on your iPhone.
- A yellow box appears on the screen; this shows the focus point determined by the camera. Since the camera focuses automatically here, you can see that the image briefly becomes larger or smaller, or sharp or blurred.
- To focus on a subject other than the one selected by the camera, tap it directly on the screen.
- In doing so, you are not just giving the camera the command to focus on this point. Your camera will also orient the brightness of the image at the selected focus point. If you would like to change this as well, simply tap on the sun symbol next to the yellow square and drag the sun upwards for a brighter photo, or downwards for a darker photo.
Solution 2: Activate and use autofocus
In the basic setting, the iPhone camera regulates the focus and exposure independently. There is also face recognition, which also helps to focus on the correct points in the image. This is how it works:
- Open the camera app on your iPhone and point the camera at the subject.
- Keep your smartphone as still as possible so that the auto focus can be set correctly. This can take a second or two. During this time the picture is still out of focus.
- A yellow square now indicates which part of the image is in focus. The exposure of the entire image is also based on this part. So if the focus is on a bright spot, the entire image tends to be darker.
- When you take photos of people, Face Recognition places a yellow square on each face. This function ensures that all people are optimally illuminated. If a person is not recognized, move the iPhone slightly so that the angle of view changes.
Use Siri as a photographer
Let Siri help you open the Camera app. For example, say:
- "Go to the camera"
- "Take a photo"
Solution 3: do without the zoom
Another reason for a blurry image can be the zoom. The iPhone only has a digital zoom. In contrast to an optical zoom, the digital one only calculates the image larger. To do this, a small part of the actual photo is taken and drawn larger. However, since there is no additional image information, the photo loses details and image quality. This can lead to the fact that the picture looks blurred. Therefore, try to reduce the distance between you and the subject so that you can do without the zoom.
Solution 4: Eliminate external sources of interference
Despite working autofocus or correct manual control, it can sometimes happen that the camera does not focus properly. This is usually due to external sources of interference. How to Eliminate These:
- Clean the camera lens. If it is dusty, smeared, fogged or wet, this will also be shown in the pictures. Gently blow crumbs or large dirt off the lens. Then wipe the lens clean with a dry microfiber cloth. If the dirt is inside the lens, a specialist should take care of it: Take your device to an authorized Apple service provider.
- Your cell phone case or objects in the immediate vicinity of the smartphone may also affect the camera focus. The models from the iPhone 6 Plus are particularly sensitive to magnetic objects or metal shells. Remove them and take the photo again.
Focus properly when shooting a video
There are two ways to get the sharpness of a video right:
Use autofocus: In the standard setting, the camera controls the focus and, at the same time, the exposure of the picture itself. If the right subject is not in focus, tap it once on the display to the camera then focuses on the tapped spot.
Adjust focus manually: If you want to prevent the focus from changing during the video shoot, you can freeze it before shooting. To do this, hold your finger on the spot on the screen where you want the focus to be. After a short time, the display appears at the top of the screen AE / AF lock. Tapping the display again is enough to cancel this fixation.
Solution 5: Use camera modes sensibly
Not every motif makes the same demands on the camera. It is therefore helpful, especially in automatic mode, to select the appropriate photo mode so that the iPhone camera can make the correct settings for image sharpness. In the basic setting, your camera is set to photo. To change the mode, slide the screen to the right or left or tap on the individual names of the modes. You can see the selected mode under the image preview. How to find the right mode:
- Photo / square: Both versions differ only in terms of format, but not in focus. The camera automatically focuses on one or more points. This mode is suitable for most pictures. If the iPhone does not have a separate portrait mode, pictures of people can also be taken with the standard setting.
- Panorama: Here the camera artificially creates the effect of a recording through a wide-angle lens. To do this, at the instruction of the camera, the iPhone is moved while taking the picture so that several pictures are taken. The app then calculates this accordingly and creates a wide-spread photo. Focus and exposure cannot be controlled manually here. The mode is suitable for taking pictures of landscapes or interiors.
- Portraits: From the iPhone 7 Plus, there is a separate portrait mode for this. This ensures that the background is blurred while the focus is clearly on the person. The latter is indicated on the image preview by a square around the person.
Intentionally blur the background
If the camera shows the image inadvertently out of focus, this can usually be corrected by manual focusing. If, on the other hand, you want part of the image to be out of focus, this can also be set using manual focus - at least in most cases. To do this, move the camera as close as possible to the subject and briefly tap it in the image preview. The camera will now focus on the main subject while the background disappears into blur.
However, this only works if the subject is so close to the lens that it fills the screen. If that doesn't work, a little trick sometimes helps: the camera refocuses every time the iPhone moves. This takes a few seconds, in which the main subject is brought into focus. The background is initially still out of focus and will only be focused after a brief moment. So if you press the shutter button in good time, with a bit of luck you will get exactly the effect you wanted.
Disclaimer OTTO (GmbH & Co KG) assumes no liability for the correctness, topicality, completeness, effectiveness and harmlessness of the information and recommendations made available on updated.de. It is expressly pointed out that the official manufacturer's specifications are to be observed before all other information and recommendations and only these can guarantee a safe and proper use of the respective purchased items.
- What are some treatments for aspergillosis
- How long did Beatlemania take
- Can babies get chickenpox?
- What is Pink Floyd
- What is the movie Rain Man about
- How can we identify good books
- Should I be bothering to remember facts?
- Why can't the opinion be valid or invalid?
- Who really invented the binary system?
- It's hard to build a 3D printer
- What is the quartzite bedrock
- Which graphics card should I choose
- What's your problem with socialism
- What is a LAN tester
- Is the AutoCloseable interface idempotent in Java
- Oxygen is rare in the universe
- Contains Amul-Eis gelatine
- Narcissists kidnap their own children
- How do alligators kill you
- Are Dell laptops waterproof
- College Football Coin Toss Results
- Is It Legal To Scratch NFL Statistics?
- People experience emotions differently
- What is robotics about