How to make homemade vegetable soup
The weather of the last few days at the latest has proven it to us: Winter is slowly arriving. And although we love snow and crystal clear air, pine green and delicious Christmas market sweets - there is one thing you certainly don't like as much as we do: colds! In addition to the more medicinal herbal cold relievers, there is also a very specific recipe that is simply good all around when the nose is running and the chills have struck: vegetable broth! Or even chicken soup. So it's time to show you how you can make your own vegetable broth.
Make your own vegetable broth in the cold season
Vegetable broth is not only the spicy base of countless dishes all year round, it also helps against feelings of cold and acts as a tasty and tasty comforter for the soul. Especially in the cooler autumn and winter months, it is therefore a good idea to always have enough stock available so that you are really prepared for all eventualities 😉.
A little digression: why does chicken soup actually help with colds?
One of grandma's wisdom is that chicken soup (which also consists of hot broth) helps with colds. Did you get hot chicken soup when you were sick in bed as a child? Evil tongues nowadays claim that this is due to the various antibiotics given to the chickens.
In fact, there is already scientific evidence of the effectiveness of chicken soup: it contains ingredients that have anti-inflammatory effects and also ensures that the mucous membranes swell. In addition, zinc, the anti-cold mineral, is organically bound in the soup - and can therefore be absorbed even better by the body. Our conclusion: have your soup spoons ready!
Make vegetable broth yourself - the advantages
Of course, it is also worth making the vegetable broth yourself:
- “Clean” ingredients: No glutamate, no yeast extracts, no additives or preservatives. In addition to water, only the vegetables you choose go into your vegetable broth.
- Storage: If you think that the huge pot of broth would stand around forever and the broth would spoil quickly, you are wrong! You can easily freeze our vegetable broth in ice cubes and then take them out of the freezer if necessary. Just as practical as a stock cube!
- Use leftovers: Do you have a few vegetable leftovers that cannot be used to prepare a meal and don't want to just throw them away? Make your own vegetable stock is the answer! From his apprenticeship as a chef, my father always tells us that every part of the kitchen has simply moved into the big “stock pot”. And the broth was always delicious. You can also simply use onions and co. With their peel - it couldn't be easier.
Make your own vegetable stock - that's how it works
But enough of the preface! Find out in our video how you can make a delicious vegetable broth yourself. You can find another, modified recipe below.
Make our own recipe for vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 onions
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 3 to 4 stalks of celery
- 4 to 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
Optional to refine: leeks (especially the green one), fennel, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsnips
- Collect vegetables and herbs: onions, carrots and celery give the broth a great basic flavor. You can refine them with the additional vegetables from above.
- Roughly cut the vegetables: Wash the vegetables and cut them roughly. You don't need to peel it unless you are absolutely committed to it. (Some even advise to leave the onion skin on!) Put the vegetables and herbs in a large saucepan (make sure that the saucepan is big enough for all the ingredients and some water on top).
- Cover with water and simmer: Cover the vegetables with enough water so that you can stir them easily. Less water ensures that your broth becomes more concentrated in taste; more water makes the broth taste more watery. Put the saucepan on medium heat and let it simmer. When you see the first bubbles and steam on the surface, turn the heat down.
- Let simmer for 1 hour: This is not a rule written in stone, but an hour is usually enough for the water to "flavor" enough with vegetables. Stir occasionally to mix the vegetables.
- Sift and store: Remove the saucepan from the heat and remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon. Hold the strainer over a large bowl lined with coffee filters. Pour the vegetable stock over it. Pour the resulting liquid into the ice cube trays, allow to cool and freeze.
Our conclusion on making your own vegetable broth
As you can see, it is neither difficult nor particularly time-consuming to be able to make a simple vegetable broth yourself. All you need are vegetables (leftovers), spices, fresh herbs (by the way, I prefer lovage, also known as Maggi herb) and water. With our method, storage is also child's play and space-saving on top of that. We are curious how you will taste your first, homemade vegetable broth! Please let us know.
PS: If you are now in a soup fever, then why not try our delicious recipe for chicken soup! Perfect for the cold days and nights!
Share your discovery
- Why does apple cider burn my throat
- What is a tenth of 10
- Why is Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani very greasy
- Should I get the new iPhone?
- How can I go live on Twitter
- You can use Facebook like LinkedIn
- Want the Sami independence
- Who invented the Twitter hashtags
- How many Grammys has Katy Perry won
- Is Ethereum a solid investment
- Will our partner steal our partner
- You can sue your divorce attorney
- What makes Ukraine unique from other countries
- What are social media monitoring tools
- How were languages made by people?
- Why can't the opinion be valid or invalid?
- What are busbar couplings
- Is web development best or developed
- What is the brewer's yeast
- What is the difference between cruel and terrible
- How many Indians believe in reincarnation
- How can we reform our society?
- What is stronger Dianabol or Tren Ace
- Are there relationships between hackers and programmers