How would you age your own whiskey
Technology instead of barrel storage: when spirits age faster
We also understand the “Boilerrum” as rum in our own right. With this spirit you want to show what your process can do to accelerate the maturation of spirits. Can you explain to us what the first “technologically aged” spirit is all about?
Well in the end we do the same thing as with conventional barrel storage, only in a fraction of the time. We optimize all processes that also take place with the usual barrel storage.
Well, you are not the first to try it. At the University of Cádiz, brandy is aged faster with the help of wood chips and ultrasound. There are approaches in the US that attempt this with oxygen and ultrasound. Others use pressure to ensure a faster and stronger exchange with the wooden barrel. Does your process also involve light, pressure and filtration?
What we do in detail remains our trade secret for the time being. I can only say this much: you have to look at the individual chemical processes involved in the process and understand them. Once you have understood the processes, every process can be optimized with process engineering.
Do you manage without artificial additives?
Absolutely. As with conventional barrel storage, we manage without the use of artificial additives or flavorings. We even refrain from using caramel, which is already commonplace in the rum industry.
And is the stability of the aged spirit also guaranteed? So is it a sustainable effect?
The process is irreversible. This means that the process cannot be reversed without the use of energy.
Now let's be specific: If you receive a young whiskey that is supposed to taste like a quality that has been matured for twelve years, how quickly can you let the whiskey age? How long do we have to wait for the result?
We have not yet implemented any whiskey in practice. Nevertheless, our process can theoretically be transferred almost equally from rum to whiskey. You can calculate with a factor of 365. So twelve days.
If the process delivers what you promise us, it will be tantamount to an earthquake in the spirits industry. The length of barrel maturity is an essential feature of the pricing, especially for whiskey, but also cognac and rum. Is your technological aging destroying the capital of the great warehouses?
Absolutely not. We have no intention of extinguishing the barrel storage. There are factors that we cannot currently “clone”. For example, imagine a super tasty single malt. There, for example, external conditions such as the humidity of the environment also play a decisive role. However, in our opinion there are very many black sheep on the market who give their rum an age rating that is far from reality. A lot of caramel and artificial flavors are used here.
On the other hand, we invest the costs of storage in product quality.
On the other hand, the regulations in Scotland, the USA and elsewhere prescribe exactly how long the spirit must be stored in the barrel in order to be allowed to use the protected designation of origin. Is that slowing you down? Or do you see the more appropriate parallel in the No Age whiskeys?
I think we offer an alternative with a unique price-performance ratio. Our aged rum is extremely mild and has a very balanced taste. Our rum is a must-have, especially for beginners. Our Boilerrum White is also mild but still extremely aromatic. It is almost hard to believe that the rum is made from pure sugar cane distillate.
Have you already received corresponding inquiries from the spirits manufacturers? What is the business model behind the maturity process?
Our aim is actually to show people what is possible with spirits these days thanks to technology. Technology actually plays a crucial role in every area. Why should the barrel storage of spirits remain the same forever?
Our business model currently does not provide for any incubators. Of course, we are not generally averse to offers, but we do not plan the process, the product or the idea to sell.
More about Boilerrum can be found on the rum brand's website.
Michael Stolzke / For a glass
- What is the cutoff from Somaiya Vidyavihar
- What does 232
- Why do some restaurants offer bottomless fries
- Where I see celebrities in Vienna
- Is the matrix rhythm technique safe in physiotherapy
- Why are some men able to move their genitals?
- Which pixel art helmet is the best
- Works better in the company or teaches
- The Star Spangled Banner is bad poetry
- How is mathematics related to civil engineering?
- Stratigraphy is still used today
- Methods for creating an outstanding C V.
- Epoxy floors have health problems
- How good a fighter is Deathstroke
- What does sagu mean in Korean
- Why didn't Nixon forgive himself?
- Are differential equations important for programming
- What were an apatosaurus predators and enemies
- Have spider bites pus
- Why is the sea water not drinkable?
- How does camouflage protect animals?
- Bitcoin is a better version of gold
- Can we reach absolute zero speed?
- Is the current Ukrainian government illegal
- What are the online courses for RTOS
- Can Naruto handle a Sharingan
- What was your strangest GRAVE ride
- Why short films are made
- What is your favorite liquid primer
- Can religion save or love the world
- What are the uses of granite
- What are some important tips for formatting resume
- Was Leonard Bernstein gay