Is PGD curable
Congenital, primary immunodeficiency (PGD)
Author: Prof. Dr. med. Volker Wahn, Julia Dobke, Prof. Dr. med. Tim Niehues, last changed: 01/31/2018
The term “primary immunodeficiency” (PGD) is a collective term for a group of diseases in which the function of the immune system is disturbed from birth due to a genetic defect.
In the event of a disorder, our immune system cannot or only inadequately perform its tasks. These tasks include:
- Defense against infectious agents such as bacteria, mycobacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites
- Establishing long-term protection against re-infections (= immunity)
- Prevention of rheumatic and autoimmune diseases
- Prevention of allergies
- Prevention of spontaneous fever and inflammation reactions
- Defense against tumor cells
All of these mechanisms work in a healthy immune system. There are currently around 300 different known genetic defects that can cause functional disorders (as of October 2015).
The following information text is aimed at those affected by a primary, congenital immunodeficiency, their families, friends, teachers and other caregivers as well as the interested public. The text is intended to contribute to a better understanding of this group of diseases, the options for their treatment and the problems and special needs of the patients concerned. It should be checked again and updated after this period has expired.
Due to the large number of known primary immunodeficiencies, we will in some cases refer to their content with the approval of the Charité's ImmunDefektZentrum.
Annotation: Our information does not replace the necessary clarifying discussions with the treating physicians and other employees of the treatment team; however, they can help to prepare these conversations and to understand them better. You can also use this information text to inform educators, teachers, friends and other caregivers of your child as fully as possible about the disease. In this way you can help prevent potential prejudice and social exclusion and thereby contribute to the best possible quality of life for your child.
- Baumann U, et al .: Primary Immunodeficiency Warning Signs and Algorithms for Diagnosis. 2010 [ISBN: 978-3-8374-2130-9] BAU2015
- Schmidt R, Baumann U, Botzug K, Henning C, Stoll M, Witte, T: Primary and secondary immune defects. [ISBN: 978-3-8374-2197-2] SCH2011h
- Kalden J, Eger, G: Greten, H et altri (ed.): Internal medicine: Increased susceptibility to infections - primary and secondary immune defects. Thieme Verlag 2010 [DOI: 10.1055 / b-0034-86240] KAL2010
- Grimbacher, B: J. Schölmerich (Ed.): Medical therapy in clinic and practice. Springer Verlag 2003 [ISBN: 978-3540422181] GRI2003b
To download and save
Patient information on primary immunodeficienciesTo PDF
Introduction of newborn screening
for severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID)
From August 2019, all newborns will be tested for a severe, combined immunodeficiency as part of the newborn screening. An important step in the early detection of this rare but life-threatening disease.More
Primary Immunodeficiency (PID)
In the case of congenital disorders of the immune system, certain symptoms occur, such as frequent, severe infections or failure to thrive. (Photo: fotolia)
Classification of congenital immunodeficiencies:
The review article by T. Niehues and M. Weiß (from "Allergologie", 11/2003, pp. 497-503) gives an overview of the classification of immunodeficiencies according to the WHO classification. To the article here
by resident doctors, hospitals and the patient organization DSAI (German Self-Help for Congenital Immune Defects). More information and locations of therapy centers in Germany: here
- What are the vicious cats
- Can all mechanics work on Tesla vehicles
- Is a scientific calculator allowed in the BARC exam?
- Do gay people produce less testosterone
- How does Dr. Aquaguard
- When did you realize that you are not attractive?
- What does it mean to be hospitalized for observation
- What is an NPM startup
- In which year were the pools built
- Can you name two biodegradable pollutants
- Why doesn't my dog stop whining
- How could Burning Man be improved
- What is IBM Cloud Private on Blockchain
- What is the deterministic algorithm in DAA
- Is it beneficial to attend IIT workshops?
- How does Amazon SQS work
- Is BHU more famous than Banaras
- Why marital websites are so ridiculous
- What is a broadband modem
- Why can't substitute teachers control their students?
- Google APAC is only for competitive programmers
- How do the observers affect the work?
- Online money is a scam
- What can a vegan not eat
- May dextrometorphan help treat depression
- How can someone prevent risk behavior
- Salary cuts are normal
- Why do we need IPTV
- Which colleges accept the LSAT India score
- What are you not doing this Christmas
- Does it work to make money on YouTube
- What is the national animal of Uzbekistan
- Can arthritis be cured by acupressure
- What Causes DNA Methylation and Histone Acetylation