Replaces DisplayPort DVI
HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort in comparison - these are the differences
For example, if you can connect your television and computer either via HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort, you should know the differences in order to choose the right cable. We will show you the weaknesses and strengths of the connections.
Picture and sound - these are the differences between HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort
HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort route video and audio signals to the screen in a variety of ways. Read here what the differences are.
- HDMI: The HDMI cable can transmit both the classic PAL video signal and high-resolution images in HDTV. Not only the usual stereo sound with two channels (left and right), but also home theater sound with up to six channels (such as Dolby Digital) can be transmitted as sound.
- DVI: You can use a DVI cable to transmit the same video signals as via HDMI. However, this standard only specializes in images and does not transmit sound.
- DVI is available in several variants, which are called differently. While both analog and digital signals can be transmitted with DVI-I, DVI-D is only available for digital signals.
- DisplayPort: Only digital data is transmitted over this cable. As with HDMI, both images and sound can therefore be transmitted here.
- In addition, the MultiStreamTransport technology enables the transmission of several independent images. Several monitors can be connected to one DisplayPort output.
Due to the outstanding bandwidth, a resolution of 8K with 60 fps is possible.
Handling and size
- HDMI: The connection of an HDMI cable is about the same size as that of a USB cable. Because the cable transmits both picture and sound, you save even more space with the already narrow connection.
- DVI: The connection of a DVI cable, on the other hand, takes up much more space. Space is usually tight, especially when connecting to the television. If the sound also has to be transmitted, you also need an audio cable.
- DisplayPort: The connection of a DisplayPort cable is optically very similar to the HDMI connection and therefore has very similar dimensions.
- HDMI: HDCP (High Definition Digital Content Protection) is always included in HDMI cables. DVDs and HDTV programs are to be protected from pirate copiers.
- DVI: Older DVI cables in particular do not have this protective function. This is not an obstacle for normal screen transmission. However, TVs or DVD players refuse to transmit DVDs or HDTV programs via DVI if the protection is not included.
- DisplayPort: As with HDMI cables, the DisplayPort always includes copy protection.
- HDMI and DisplayPort: With these cables, you usually don't have to worry. The contacts are extremely stable and normally cannot be damaged at all.
- DVI: Always use caution with DVI cables. The very thin contacts of the cables break easily or are damaged if they are inserted carelessly.
Conclusion: HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort in comparison
Basically, it can be said that HDMI was developed more for home theater use, to connect devices like TVs and DVD players. DVI served more as an interface between graphics card and screen in computers. For some time now, DVI has been replaced by DisplayPort in this application.
- The DVI standard has largely died out due to its replacement with DisplayPort. Due to the excellent bandwidth of the DisplayPort protocol, it has been used almost exclusively in gaming graphics cards for some time.
- In addition, most flat-screen televisions hardly have any of the bulky DVI connections.
- So if you have the choice between all three connection options, the following applies: DisplayPort offers the greatest advantages and is therefore always the first choice, HDMI is still the most widespread, especially in the home theater sector, and DVI is no longer relevant in comparison.
Video tip: DisplayPort explained simply
In the next practical tip, you will learn how to start screen sharing between your television and computer using one of these cables.
(Original tip written by: Tim Aschermann)
- Why do companies issue convertible bonds
- How do I learn intelligently in engineering
- Why is this world so corrupt
- Astrology Boecks are arrogant
- What does aluminum foil do to heat
- What problem arises when using allopathic medicine
- Are the Amish against invention
- When did guitar solos become known?
- What does the term compounding mean?
- Would introverts make good business people
- How different is Japanese lexically from Korean?
- How do you outsource blogging for income
- What is the classification of programming languages
- Why shouldn't I hunt deer?
- Does the smooth muscles have an automatic mechanism
- What are the online courses for RTOS
- How teenagers live for themselves
- Can arthritis be cured by acupressure
- Bruce Lee had a mistress
- Can you spell words well
- What properties do all prisons have in common?
- Who would win Beerus vs Living Tribunal?
- What are b sides
- How does the Python import work
- Can a defendant contact the plaintiff?
- What is cut in the past tense
- Surabaya is a polluted city
- What is online sports betting
- Why are the speed limits in Texas so high
- How is port served
- Why Delhi Sucks
- Listen to what's your favorite podcast
- India is secretly preparing for war
- What does frugal 1